How do I create an account for a visitor to my department?
The Third Party system is used to create an account - a username and password - with specified rights to access certain services i.e. email account and network services.
Once captured, the account is ready within a matter of minutes. Often you know ahead of time that you will be receiving a visitor, so ask them to send you all the information that you need in order to capture them onto the Third Party system before they arrive. This way the account will be active before they arrive on campus.
Please note that third party accounts last six months, thererafter they can be renewed by an authorised capturer.
* A third party is neither a UCT staff member (T1, T2 and T3 contract staff and permanent staff) nor a registered student.
* The third party account is valid for a period not exceeding six months. After that time, it can be renewed by the issuing department if necessary.
How to connect to the UCT wireless network
If access is required to the internet, there are three ways in which our visitors can gain that access:
1) Visiting academic/contract staff that require access for a prolonged period of time (more than 3 days) or require access to additional resources such as parking, online resources, the library: then a Third Party account should be setup.
2) Visiting academics from other institutes that are Eduroam Affiliated: Can simply login with their own username and password from their home institution.
3) Visitors that require only internet for a short period of time (up to three days), may be sponsored internet access by any UCT staff member via the UCT Guest WiFi service.